Saturday, January 21, 2012

Audio Stories

“The students wouldn't speak to me...”
http://storycorps.org/listen/stories/a-p-tureaud-jr-and-steven-walkley/

I chose to listen to this story because it had an interesting title. “The students wouldn't speak to me." Once I heard this guy say that no one would talk to him not even his teachers because of his race with really sad. The saddest part was that the only person that he could talk to was the mascot and how they were somewhat the same about being a jail. The part from this story that you can hear his feelings change was when a truck pulls up next to him and another ago an American came out and told him if he was a student here and when he said yes he took put his child and told his son that he would be able to come to one of these school, that it does not matter what race or color skin you are. When the guy was saying that in the story he said he was going to give up, but once that other guy came to him during the story you can hear him going from a sad voice to a happy voice, knowing that someone believes in him and that he can keep going.
I think questions that the interviewer would had asked to get this story was what college did you go to? And how was it like? What was is something you won't forget when you were in college? This story compared to the ones we heard in class, I think the some of the ones in class are more like the people make their accidents be funny, as for this one it's more like about a moment from the back then in the past.



“'I'm curious how I could have reached out to you better?'”
http://storycorps.org/listen/stories/antero-garcia-and-roger-alvarez/

I chose this story because I kind of like listening to stories that have to do with schools because I could somewhat relate to this a little. This kid dropped out of school in the ninth grade. He was saying that he felt stupid because he did not really understand what he was being taught. And also that the teacher that was interviewing was the only teacher that he could trust, the only teacher that would actually help him. When I heard him talk I kind of heard like he regrets leaving school, but now he has to work late hours and that he's trying to get his GED. This relates to one of my friends because she dropped out of school, but not for not being smart, but for people teasing her about who she is and how she dresses. This also somewhat relates to me because when I was in the tenth grade I was done with school. I hated school, I kind of felt like this kid here about how he felt he did not have the brains to be at school. But over the years I got used to it and I'm glad I did not go through this path like he did.
I think there were a couple of editing in this story. I feel like there was more the boy said, but the cut down the most important parts, but after listening to the end of this story I would like to hear more about what he had to say.


No comments:

Post a Comment